Many people Take a break from alcohol this month, a cultural moment that has become known as Dry January. Away from the trends fueled by New Year’s resolutions, the alcohol-free drink has been enjoying a boom. Beverage brands and premium bartenders create sophisticated cocktails and virgin beer in an effort to whet the palates of sober people, temporary drinkers, and those who generally hate alcohol. But how do they actually create these drinks? To what extent do they stick to our cultural expectations of what “drinking” should be?
This week at Gadget Lab, WIRED Senior Correspondent Adam Rogers joined us to talk about the science of wine, not wine.
Read Adam’s book Guide: Wine Science.
Adam recommends savoring, enjoying your hobbies, and subscribing to WIRED. Lauren recommends Letiz’s Eins Zwei Zero Sparkling Riesling white non-alcoholic wine. Mike recommends that the free (and not-for-profit) streaming service Radio is a foreign country.
Adam Rogers can be found on Twitter @jitjuku. @Lauren GoodLonggood. Michael Calor @Snack. Bling main hotline at @Gadget Lab. The show was produced by Boone Ashworth (@Bounceworth). Our music is by Solar Keys.
If you have feedback about the show, or just want to sign up to win a $50 gift card, take our brief listener survey here.
how to listen
You can always listen to this week’s podcast through the audio player on this page, but if you want to subscribe for free to get every episode, here’s how:
If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, open the app called Podcasts, or just tap on this link. You can also download an app like Overcast or Pocket Casts, and search for Gadget Lab. If you’re on Android, you can find us in the Google Podcasts app by just clicking here. We’re on Spotify too. And in case you really need it, here’s the RSS feed.
More great wired stories
- 📩 The latest news in technology, science and more: get our newsletters!
- 4 infant dead and mother doomed to a genetic mystery
- Explosives, robot, and sled reveal glacier on doomsday
- How to delete Facebook, Twitter and more
- The best TV shows you missed in 2021
- Public transport systems are refocusing on their essential passengers
- 👁️ Explore AI like never before with our new database
- 🎧 Things don’t look right? Check out our favorite wireless headphones, speakers, and bluetooth speakers